Wednesday 29 June 2016

A Bedroom Grows

After watching this really interesting documentary (CLICK HERE), I thought back to all the different phases my bedroom has been through.  A bedroom really is a reflection of personality.  The objects kept show what the inhabitant holds as special, what they're interested in; the room decoration gives the person a certain vibe.  My bedroom, is not, by any means, super tumblr or exotic or hipster.  In fact, it's quite understated and random.  I just find it interesting - all the little eurekas of room decor I carried through, or the drastic change in furniture at the beginning of this year.

So let's start in 2012.  That was the year 12 year old me put up the giant M collage on her door.  I don't have any photos of it, so let me paint a picture for you: At the very top of this door was a little paper-made wheel with four options; 'please knock', 'stay out', 'no boys allowed' and 'come in'.  It was coloured in with four different coloured pencils and each word was written in messy bubble letters.  Underneath this wheel was the huge collage consisting mainly of quotes, a couple of memes, photos of Taylor Swift and Katy Perry, and photos of cheezels and pringles and other logos of stuff that I really liked.  All these photos were printed on paper, cut out and blue-tacked onto the door in the shape of a giant M.

This was probably my favourite quote at the time:


and here's one of the memes I used to find exceptionally funny:


*****

Describing my room in 2013, it was pretty much exactly the same as it was in 2012.  My door was still exactly the same.  I was having arguments with my mum about the corner of my room she had claimed to store an old doll house, a box of barbies and a stocking full of stuffed animals.  My room had it's fair share of stuffed animals anyway though.

I had these two shelves, filled with the book series I was obsessed with at the time: Divergent, The Hunger Games, The Mortal Instruments, and a bottom shelf full of notebooks and diaries.  On top of these shelves were laid bandanas from the zoo holiday programs in red, blue and yellow, and on top of these bandanas sat all the stuffed animals I couldn't bring myself to throw away.  By this age I had grown out of them and was slightly ashamed, but I kept them there because I couldn't bear to have them gone.  Somewhere inside me I thought that they had hearts and souls too, and that they deserved to be cared for.  That's what watching Toy Story does to you.

I remember I started becoming more organised as well.  I have this 3x3 pigeon hole shelf thing where I would categorise each compartment.  I wrote labels in blue texta for both this and my two bookshelves, and stuck them on each bottom ledge with blue tack.

*****

2014 was when all the drawings came up.  That was the year I started to sketch things in lead pencil, rather than the cartoony looking people I had drawn prior.  Back then I didn't have a sketch book and I no longer used my folder entitled "M's Drawings", so every time I finished a drawing I would hang it on my wall.



As you can see I was still very much into books.

*****

When we got back from Malaysia in 2015, I had decided to have a major room makeover.  I was very into pineapples at the time.


I had started using the polaroid camera my friends had given me for my birthday, so I made a string of polaroids, with pineapple pegs of course.


Above these polaroids were some DIY painted quotes.


Adding to the tumblr-ness of this room, I also added fairy lights that didn't stay up for very long.



Then there was the top of my shelf, which I finally cleared of the stuffed animals, which left me more space for other things.


The drawings also came down and were replaced by the inconvenient sticky notes instead.


This sticky note wall was forever changing.  When I realised that I wasn't updating my to-dos and to-be-reads, I decided to put up hand-written quotes instead.


And then it was the massive collage, which I made straight after tearing down the M on my door, which was way overdue.


*****

At the beginning of 2016, my parents decided to take a trip to IKEA.  I was going into Year 11 so I needed a new desk to replace the old, tiny, messy one I had at the time.  While there, we also bought two new bookshelves, double the size of the two mentioned earlier.  This obviously changed up the layout of my room.

As well as this, my giant collage was torn down, replaced with paintings bought in Italy and little things from previous adventures found on the bottom of my shelf, where all my memories were kept and are still kept.  That's one thing about my room that has never changed.






As you can see, one toy didn't get the cut




 So, how has your room changed over time?

Love,
M




22 comments:

  1. Your room looks so cool. I like the polaroids. I've always wanted polaroids to put on my wall and I do have a polariod camera, I just don't know how it works XD
    My room has barely changed over the past few years. There are more books and more post cards and souvenirs from trips abroad, but that's about it I think.

    x Envy
    Lost in Translation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha there's nothing to know! Just experiment with the settings (or google them if you don't want to waste film) and press the button down to take a photo! The polaroids are off my wall now though. And adding new stuff to your room and throwing stuff out is like having it grow with you in a way.

      Delete
  2. Super cool. It is crazy to think of how rooms change over the years. I have moved a few times so along with the decor of my room changing so does the actual room it's self. I the pictures you have up in your room now!and the painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time someone tells me they're moving, the first thing I think is how lucky they are that they get to have a total room makeover. They get to start from scratch and make it whatever they please. Thank you so much Vanessa x

      Delete
  3. This is honestly so funny to think about, because I'm currently in the process of redoing my room. It hasn't changed too much over the years, mainly because I'm a person to hate change. But it has slowly but surely grown along with me. I loved this post, M:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Grace! Good luck redoing your room. For someone who hates change, sometimes change can be refreshing.

      Delete
  4. I'm actually just about to remodel my room! I'm painting it a new color - pale aqua to replace the hot pink it's been for far too long - and moving out this huge and useless storage chest. In its place, I'm making an awards wall to display all the academic and writing awards I've won, and I might take down some old drawings to make a wall entirely covered in a single collage. I'm also going to be clearing out a lot of the junk I store on my bookshelf and dresser so I can have more room to store more important things. :)

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound like perfect ideas! You're so lucky that you get to paint your room. I used to always beg my parents if I could but they always said it would make it harder to sell the house so I never could. The awards wall and the massive collage sound amazing.

      Delete
  5. Your room is really nice, mine is a disaster right now, because I am in the process of moving back into it,and I have too much stuff,and none of it is nicely arranged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha but sometimes rearranging all your stuff is the best part!!

      Delete
  6. I love this post! You can learn so much about people from the way they live in and decorate their spaces. I don't think my room has changed too much. Though posters have been put up and taken down, photos and quotes too. Toys have been changed and put away, etc. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the posters and the toys are honestly a huge thing. Like, throwing stuff out or even changing a part of a wall is a huge step. So yeah, I guess your room has grown with you.

      Delete
  7. What happened to the stuffed animals? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were donated to the Salvation Army and hopefully found new homes :)

      Delete
  8. Dude yes! Love this post. When I was younger I used to share a room with my younger sister... So I really only had half a room. The walls are still a sickly looking pale pink with a polka-dot Minnie Mouse border that runs around the top 6" of my walls and just barely touches the ceiling...
    Like you furniture came and went, old school papers and clothes and books I've outgrown went with them... But I have kept many stuffed animals for the same exact same reason (I also blame Toy Story!!). I used to have a random poster of some space mission up, along with some Hayden Christensen fanpics (oh boy)... And a lot of memes as well that I printed off with my fathers dinosaur computer. Since then I've taken those down and I have a cork board that I keep important/special photos. I've also gathered some Star Wars paraphernalia since then, including an analog clock that has replaced a Minnie Mouse themed one (Guess my mom had an obsession when I was little). I also have multi coloured Christmas lights strung across my window, and a tiny plant on my windowsill XD
    My bed moved to the opposite side of my room when I got my desktop computer... And since then my walls have been pretty blank. I'm also slowly trying to scale stuff back in terms of decor and furniture because I'll be leaving for college soon 😬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah. I'm practically visualising your bedroom transformation right now and it's amazing. I used to share a room with my sister too, but I didn't go that far back in this post. That seems like ages ago - the days where we had an igloo tent and a bunk bed. Thank you for this lovely comment.

      Delete
  9. This is such an interesting way of viewing a bedrooom. I've never seen it as an expression of creativity, but looking around now - I guess it is. My bedroom has changed from lilac walls to a creamy white sort of colour, a border featuring angels has been stripped off and the corner of my room now features a piano which I play in the evening. I'm going to try and decorate my bedroom this summer, and give it a new lease of life for the new academic year. This post was both insightful and eye opening, I loved reading! Have given you a follow <3

    Lauren | Sincerely, Lauren Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your new room deco works out!! There's nothing better than a fresh new space for the beginning of a year of hard work and projects. I've always wanted the walls of my bedroom to change the way yours has, but that's one thing that never happened. I guess you would get sick of an angel border after a while.

      Delete
  10. Your room looks so good! My room has stayed pretty much the same but just changed houses haha!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing that you've managed to maintain a room despite moving its entire location.

      Delete
  11. ROOM GOALS. <3

    Also, your tfios drawing... MY GOSH. <3

    xx Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete