Wednesday 13 May 2015

Back to When I First Started

It's weird.  I'm staying home sick today, and I was just thinking about the last time I skipped school because I was sick.  And the last time I remember was some time last year, August I think it was.  That was the day I made this blog.

I was sitting in this exact same lounge room, with the exact same slightly feverish nauseous feeling, wearing the exact same pink dressing gown covered in white hearts.  This moment here is reminding me what it felt like to be excited about blogging.


Blogging used to be a bit of an obsession.  I swear I posted almost every single day back when I first started.  I would actively explore the internet, looking for followers.  I'd comment on every post.  I'd leave my URL (not a link, but an actual inconvenient URL).  I even made a bloglovin account and a button swap page, all in that first week.  I'd come home from school everyday, excited to visit my own blog again.  I'd stay online for over an hour after posting, just to see if anyone had read anything.  Blogging practically consumed my mind for a while there.  Every time I did something I would think about how I would blog about it.

I can't imagine putting that much effort in now.  For some reason, down the road, I stopped searching for new blogs and checking up on followers.  I stopped getting excited over every post and planning what I would say next.  This blog became an unappreciated place to visit every now and then.


I'm not too far gone though.  I still love this blog, even 10 months later.  And that's saying something seeing as someone I know once told me most bloggers don't last 6 months.  I have the feeling she thought I'd be one of them.  It's a good thing dabbling isn't really in my nature, and sharing stuff through writing now is.


It's just sad that I don't feel excited anymore.  It's sad that the idea of having complete strangers read and judge my thoughts has become a norm.  In theory, I love the idea of people you would never otherwise encounter knowing a little about you and your life.  The idea that every word they've read that you've reiterated will effect them in some way.  I'm somehow impacting someone just by typing in a laptop all thanks to one sick day.

I just reckon blogging needs to be appreciated again.


This one website in a million is evolving with me.  Looking back at all the posts just 10 months ago makes me realise how much I've changed in such a short time.  And part of that change was due to blogging.

For example, on that sick day back in August 2014, I was obsessed with my phone.  I liked the idea that people were texting me from school while I was sick.  That fact alone made me feel reassured that I made a difference in my friends' every day school life.  Right now my phone's sitting upstairs and I don't feel the urge to check it.  Maybe it's because I've grown closer to my friends, and I know that some of them don't matter as much as others.  It's quality over quantity right?  And with those quality friends, I know I matter without needing to be reassured by lunch time texts.


Last August I wasn't worried about what I was missing out on in class.  I was an arrogant little 14 year old.  I thought I would be able to catch up, no problem.  I wanted to be at school though.  I didn't really enjoy the pleasures of a sick day where you were really only semi-sick.  Now it's the opposite.  Of course I'm worried about what I'm missing out on in class.  That's why I chose today to have a semi-sick rest day.  I knew nothing significant was going on at school today, and I know that if I went, I'd be feeling dreadful tomorrow, which wouldn't be so great for the super difficult maths test.  I can't imagine my 14 year old self thinking super difficult maths tests existed.

She never understood the pleasures of a rest day either.  She was always too busy worrying about what people were doing without her.  I don't think she would've fully appreciated a day where she could watch six hours of the Vampire Diaries, lying on the couch eating a pack of mini m&ms, while all her friends were at school.


I don't think she'd ever thought she would be me in only 10 months.  But I do think she would be proud.  And I'm glad this 10 month change has been somewhat documented right here on this blog, and will continue to be for a long time now.

Love,
M

10 comments:

  1. Sucks that your sick, but at least you are somewhat enjoying it.
    I just started season two of V.D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm two episodes from the end of Season 2 and being spoiled all over social media - thanks to the Season 6 finale. How good is it though!????

      Delete
  2. Your blogging journey kinda matches mine - loved this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arushee!! Blogging sure is a special hobby <3

      Delete
  3. I hope you feel better! Your blogging journey is much better than mine....:) Have you watched the walking dead? I've only seen the first episode since I don't have Netflix though, But I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen the Walking Dead, but there are just so many TV shows out there, and who knows? That could be one of my future obsessions. Thanks Addy! Everyone's blogging journey is something special x

      Delete
  4. It's always good to look back and reflect on what you've become now from what you were then. Personally, I have been blogging for over a year and although I was doing it wrong in the beginning - right now I am a bit in love with it and social media. I do think I know who my friends are and I am one of the people rubbish at messaging on facebook, so I do know what you mean about not needing to check up on everything all the time. I hope you continue enjoying this blogging journey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olivia. Blogging in the beginning was all wrong, but it's a learning process and we all learn pretty fast. Haha I'm still working on the whole not-needing-to-check-up thing. I still have a problem.

      Delete
  5. I've spent the last 30 minutes reading through your posts and catching up with your blog and I am continually impressed with how mature you are for your age! As a fellow blogger, I can relate to going through times where I lack inspiration or the simple desire to post on my blog. In the beginning of my own blogging journey 1.5 years ago, I was slightly obsessed with numbers and page views. I spent two hours a week on Twitter chats to get my URL out there. While it was fun in the beginning to network, I am much more comfortable with my blog now. I think I have a "healthier" relationship with my little blog now. It's more about being my creative space instead of my marketing business. I am happy to hear that if anything, this blog as helped you grow as a person (and based on your more recent posts, it looks like you've found inspiration to write again!) :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thanks Darcy. You're too sweet. Weren't we all just so clueless when we first started this blogging thing - we're glad we did though. What is it that makes blogging so... great? Because it really is.

      Delete